Saturday, November 01, 2008

Seize The Day

Last night when chit chatting with a friend, Rafil. He made me realise something very important in our lives. It all started with the topic of the concert of The Cure. He advised me that music lovers like us should seize the day to attend our favourite bands' concerts. As hardcore music lover, something is obviously missing if we have never attended any concert of our favourite bands. Honestly, I consider myself in this category of music lover as well. The biggest gig I attended was the gig in Kuala Lumpur by Fugazi in the 90s. For a person beyond 30 years old, a lot of our all time favourite bands are no longer young. Many of them have reached their 50s or even 60s. If you don't attend their concerts, you may not get the chance to see those bands in a few years. The band members may be too old, you may be too old, health issue, etc may prevent us from any future concerts.

Honestly, I am just repeating what Rafil told me. Rafil, I hope you don't mind me being a parrot. :) I think he's absolutely correct. Based on the situation of my parents, they were thinking of going here and there but they're unable to walk (they could have done that earlier). Rafil told me he used to walk pass CBGB but didn't take the opportunity to walk in and it is now closed down...he regrets. I have always been impressed with the punk band, Ramones, but now more them half of the band members are dead - I will never see them perform again.

I have no regret for getting myself involved in the local underground music scene although it screwed up and I declared retirement for myself. I have no regret for getting involved in a radio show of the former Traxx FM DJ, Maya. I was just doing what I enjoyed. I may not return to the local music scene but if given the opportunity, I would still love to get involved in alternative rock show either in the form of podcasting or broadcasting.

We should all seize the day as the saying from the movie, Dead Poet Society!!

No comments: