Friday, September 12, 2008

Traitor

Based on the legend of Hang Tuah, I remember my History teacher taught us a very good lesson about who was the actual traitor. It's sad that the younger generation may not get to learn this due to the fact that it has been removed from the text book. The reason for the removal is full of speculation and I do not intend to elaborate here.

Being the more fortunate one that had the opportunity to be taught about the legend, I would like to share my personal thought. I believe Hang Tuah was the actual traitor - the traitor of friendship. When the Sultan ordered Hang Tuah to be killed for messing around with the Sultan's concubine, the Bendahara betrayed the Sultan by hiding Hang Tuah instead. I admire the courage of the Bendahara. When Hang Jebat heard about the fake news that Hang Tuah was killed, he ran amok and went against the Sultan. He did it for the sake of friendship. Unfortunately when the Sultan found out that Hang Tuah was alive, he ordered Hang Tuah to kill Hang Jebat. The "blind" Hang Tuah obeyed the Sultan and killed his friend. The act of Hang Tuah truly showed he had no compassion towards his friend. He could have done what the Bendahara did to him by hiding Hang Jebat. In this event, I consider the Bendahara and Hang Jebat as the true heroes - they cherished their friendship. As for Hang Tuah, he was just a puppet of the cruel Sultan. The biggest villain was the Sultan who misused his power.

I hope someday the young generation will somehow managed to learn from this legend from somewhere. History and legend are not for us to read and sit for an exam. We have to learn from the mistakes and prevent them from happening to ourselves. Sometimes I still see people repeating the same mistakes in the real world today - people that behaves like Hang Tuah and the Sultan. This is very sad indeed!!

I dedicate this article to my favourite History teacher in secondary school, Cikgu Zainol. I will always remember the lesson he gave us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what if..hang tuah hidden hang jebat actually..nobody will knows rite?

in fact the same question why puteri gunung ledang asked for many thing upon sultan proposal to her..would hang tuah just created the story as he intend to see malacca more clean..hati kuman?hati nyamuk?

if only..we could see...