Friday, September 19, 2008

Because You Said So?



I was watching a movie at Astro, Because I Said So, just a few minutes ago. The comedy was about an over-protective mother (Diane Keaton) that was trying very hard to be a matchmaker of her own daughter (Mandy Moore) but ended up with bad consequence. It's neither the best movie nor a bad one, but it has a special meaning to me and it sends a very powerful message to the viewers.

I can easily relate this movie to any over-protective parents. Generally, I find Malaysian parents being over-protective. Every parents want their children to be doctors, engineers, lawyers and all the boring occupations. They may be shock with anger if their children say that they want to be an artist, singer, barber, firefighter, etc. I have personally gone through similar experience when I told my grandmother that I wanted to be a soldier - I was beaten up by my mother. From a soldier, my ambition eventually proceeded to scientist (a mad scientist), pilot (actually a military pilot), singer (actually a punk rocker), linguist, astronomer, inventor, etc. None of them came true. I ended up with a boring occupation eventually for the sake of making money to pay for loan. Crap, isn't it? I believe parents should let their children do what they wish. Even if they screw up doing silly things, they will find out and learn eventually. If the parents do not give them the freedom, they will never grow up. Call me Western minded if you wish, but don't you think Westerners are more creative, innovative and more willing to open up their minds, comparing to Asians?

From the movie, I can also relate it to the current Malaysian leaders. Malaysian leaders are generally over-protective. Look at the way they over-protect some of the Malaysian companies (every Malaysian should know what I mean). They also over-protect themselves - they cannot stand any criticism and threaten the people with Internal Security Act. In my opinion, being over-protective absolutely does not grant any benefit to the general Malaysian population. We will never grow this way. I hope some of the politicians will grow up or step down some day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, u are luckier than me. I wanted to take up secretarial course. Dad disallowed saying that that profession sits on boss' lap. Well, I guess to think of it now, it would be fun to sit on boss' lap if that is so easily done. LOL. He so wanted me to go into government jobs. But u know how it was then back in the old days....yeah, corruptions. Then I opted for nursing in UK. Was denied with reasons like, "We have no funds to send u there" and "You are our only daughter". Heck, I should not have bothered but was then too timid to cut the apron string which my parents had tied me to.