Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cansei de Ser Sexy Is Not Tired of Being Sexy

I was introduced to a Brazilian indie electro new wave revival post-punk band by chance when I was on a radio show with a former Traxx FM DJ, Maya, about more than 1 year ago. Maya bought the CD all the way from the U.K. when she visited the land of punk. The band was Cansei de Ser Sexy with the abbreviation C.S.S. for those who could not pronounce the band's name. The album was a self-titled album. It was love at first hearing for me regarding Cansei de Ser Sexy. Most of the songs were very upbeat. I was a little bit surprised that the traditional grunge label, Sub Pop, was the label of this indie new wave band. It was not a complete surprise for me because Sup Pop also signed up some indie shoegazer bands that could be categorised as very close to dream-pop such as Velocity Girl and The Spinanes. Since the era of grunge had cool down over the years, it's pretty normal for an indie label like Sub Pop to explore beyond the territory of grunge.

The year is now 2008. Getting any album by Sub Pop or any indie record label is obviously not an easy task in Malaysia but I managed to get it by crook or by hook. Yes, I managed to get the new album of Cansei de Ser Sexy called Donkey. It's not love at first hearing for this album but don't get me wrong, it's not a bad album after all. As usual, most of the songs of Cansei de Ser Sexy are very upbeat. There is no such word as boring in the dictionary of Cansei de Ser Sexy. The songs do not hook you up like the first album but they will grow on you. I love one of their weird songs called "I Wanna Be Your J Lo". It's a strange song with very strange new wave beat...not a cup of tea for everyone but it suits weirdo like me. The other songs I enjoy are "Left Behind" (their first single from this album), "Let's Reggae All Night" & "Beautiful Song". Some of the short songs from this album such as "Hollywood" and "Sô Lora, Sô Burra (Disk Putas)" clearly show their punk roots. They remind me of the early Huggy Bear, Bikini Kill and other riot grrl bands from the early 90s.

Here are the video clips from the old album (Let's Make Love and Listen to Death From Above) and new one (Rat Is Dead (Rage)):



No comments: