Sunday, January 18, 2009

Air Asia's GoInsure Issue

I booked Air Asia's flight for my in-law's maid last month and for myself this month. I felt cheated being forced to check the GoInsure check box after entering all the credit card information. Without checking the GoInsure check box, there's no way to book the ticket. It also stated that customers can choose to unselect the GoInsure later but I could not find any way to unselect GoInsure after booking. Fuck!! My booking had been confirmed by then!!! So, both of the times, I ended up purchasing the insurance that I didn't need. I wrote to Air Asia to complain but I received no response from them. I wrote to the CEO and he denied that the company was trying to cheat.

Since it's not the intention for the company to cheat, I would like to think that the website is designed very unprofessionally causing confusion to the customers. I dare to bet that a lot of customers would end up purchasing the insurance unnecessarily. For an IT literate person like myself being fooled to purchase GoInsure, I have no doubt that countless number of their customers will be victimised.

Yes, I have toned down what I wrote initially after thinking of myself being in the shoes of the CEO. I pity him that he has to deal with customer care matter when his employees did not do the job. It's kind of him to respond to my complaint. At least he has shown me that he is a responsible CEO. He should be a good example of his employees that did not do the job well. Let's wait and see whether he would do something about it just to be fair. I hope it's not another NATO (no action talk only).

Readers, if you know the way to avoid purchasing GoInsure, please post it here. If you can capture some screens and send to me, it would be even better. I would like to share it with everyone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to a fellow blogger, Jacky, for sharing some tips on how to overcome the GoInsure issue. Check out the steps as follows:

"You have to read carefully on how to "unselect" it. On the page where you enter your credit card information, the right side of the page shows booking summary. Click "CANCEL" which is beside the word GoInsure, and when the reminder box comes out, remember to click "CANCEL" again instead of "OK". Anyway, the best thing is to check the total fees added up in the sum paid before completing your payment."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I happened to book another ticket in the future, I will make sure I capture every single screen and post it here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

is that a compulsory insurance then..

Umbrella Rec said...

I doubt it's a compulsory insurance. The website would not mention that the insurance can be unselected if it's a compulsory one.

Jacky said...

The insurance is not compulsary, but the way they design it on the website is very confusing. U have to read carefully on how to "unselect" it. On the page where u enter ur credit card information, the right side of the page shows booking summary. Click "CANCEL" beisde the word GoInsure, and when the reminder box come out, remember to click "CANCEL" again instead of "OK". Anyway, the best thing is to check the total fees added up in the sum paid before completing ur payment.

Umbrella Rec said...

Thanks for the infom, Jacky.

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for the tip... i nearly clicked confirm when I noticed the insurance. googled for help and I found this.

Umbrella Rec said...

You're welcome. You should thank Jacky who left a comment here actually as I got the tips from him.