Thursday, October 02, 2008

Crappy External Portable DVD Writer




My entire Raya holidays were spoiled because of the purchase of a stupid external slim portable DVD writer. My wife was the purchaser but I was the one who had to struggle troubleshooting it. I was disappointed and didn't have a good feeling that she came home with Panasonic DVD writer instead of LG or Samsung one.

The exact model of the portable DVD writer was Panasonic SD-100A. Initially, the drive could not be detected, so I blamed it on the USB2 hub. After connecting directly to the laptop, I managed to install some software but when Nero CD supplied by Panasonic was used, it failed to read. The Samsung DVD writer of my PC had no problem reading the Nero CD though. When I tried accessing the CD with the portable Panasonic DVD writer, it failed again and again. However, after several attempts, it managed to read. When I was trying to install Nero happily, it hit I/O (input/output) error. Being dissatisfied, I tried with another software CD. When installing half way, it hit the same I/O error. It was very obvious that the CDs used were ok but not the portable DVD writer.

As a conclusion, Panasonic SD-100A is a crappy product. I discourage anyone from purchasing it. My wife sent the DVD writer back for exchange but the same problem occurred for the second DVD writer too. She will be sending it back to the shop again tomorrow. Since the shop only has Sony and Panasonic products, I hope she will come home with Sony one, although I am not a Sony fan either.


Latest Update As of 4th October 2008:
The shop exchanged for the same model of DVD player. Surprisingly, it worked this time. The differences we noticed with the previous 2 players were the torn boxes and even the Nero CDs provided were different. Probably someone had rejected them before. The current one has a new box in good condition coming straight from their store. I am not sure whether the product has bad quality control or the shop was trying to get rid of rejected players. I am a bit doubtful that it's due to bad quality control because it's a Japanese product and the Japanese are generally very strict about it. To be safe, I would still encourage people to stay away from this product. It's a lesson for Panasonic to be careful of selecting their vendors if it's not the fault of their product. Even though the shop had no problem exchanging the goods but exchanging it three times is unacceptable. Please bear in mind that our grandfathers do not sponsor petrol and parking fees!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, the shop may be trying to pushed the defective product to your wife. Good thing is that she sent them back until she gets a good one. Perhaps dues to transportation the writers were damaged.