Friday, October 03, 2008

September Gurls

September has just passed by a few days ago but I decided to check out a 70s band greatly praised by my friend, Joe Kidd, many years ago. The first song that caught my attention was "September Gurls". To those familiar with the band, Teenage Fanclub, it's very obvious that they are influenced by Big Star. Many artistes today still claim that they're influenced by Big Star. I love the melody of "September Gurls" which is simply amazing and beautiful. It is a very well written song.

Big Star was formed in 1971 when I was still a toodler sucking my thumb. They were not really big stars then. The band splitted up in 1974 when I didn't even know ABC. A new line-up of Big Star featuring original members Chilton and Jody Stephens was formed in 1993, and released a new album in 2005 called "In Space". I have yet to check out their new album but I will surely do so in a matter of time.

Here's a video clip of Big Star's "September Gurls" and the lyric:



September gurls do so much
I was your butch and you were touched
I loved you well never mind
I've been crying all the time
December boys got it bad.

September gurls I don't know why
how can I deny what's inside
even thought I keep away
maybe we'll love all our days.
When I get to bed
late at night
that's the time
she makes things right
ooh when she makes luv to me

No comments: