Saturday, April 04, 2009

My Earliest Days of Alternative Music Exposure

My earliest alternative music exposure are due to a few top 10 hits in the 80s by British bands such as The Cure, The Smiths, The Housemartins, Depeche Mode, OMD and Jesus & The Mary Chain. Those days they were not even called alternative music. Here are some music videos as a tribute to them.

"Panic" by The Smiths:
I first heard this song on the radio. I think it was BBC World Service.




"Ask" by The Smiths:
The first time I heard this song was on the local English radio station, Traxx FM. Those days, I think it was known as Blue Network.




"Lullaby" by The Cure:
I cannot recall from where I heard this song but I remember watching this music video on the TV and I thought it was the coolest music video. I love the gothic looks of Robert Smith.




"Happy Hour" by The Housemartins:
I think I first heard this on the old Blue Network radio station. I loved this song instantly. Paul Heaton remains one of my all time favourite song writer/lyricist along with Morrissey of The Smiths over the decades. I heard The Beautiful South formed by Paul Heaton has split up as well and he has gone solo.



"Five Get Over Excited" by The Housemartins:
I could have heard this song from Blue Network radio station or BBC. I loved this song instantly as well. I fell in love with almost all of the hit songs of The Housemartins instantly anyway.




"Me and The Farmer" by The Housemartins:
Another funny video clip of one of my all time favourite songs.




"Shake The Disease" by Depeche Mode:
This is one of the earliest electronic music exposure. I didn't love them initially until I heard "People Are People".

No comments: