Thursday, April 09, 2009

Aquatic Plants Experiment

Currently I have started another experiment using my Diana Walstad experimental tank. Basically I go around LFS (local fish shops) searching for various cheap plants. Buy a bunch back. Take some photos. Post them online in forums to get them identified. Make sure they're true aquatic plants. Otherwise, I will publish the blacklisted plants to the public. Yeah, I am acting as an unauthorised inspector now knowing that many LFS sell non-aquatic plants to their customers. I don't blame this completely on the LFS because some of them lack the knowledge as well. Anyway, what is the excuse of selling something you don't know? The blame is to be shared by the farms, suppliers and the customers themselves for not doing any research.

Here's my number one targeted plant. I have been setting my eyes on this plant for years but I often thought it's non-aquatic. It turned out to be a true aquatic plant known as Hygrophila Polysperma. Possibly Hygrophila polysperma var. 'Rosa Nervis'. It's a fast growing plants that is suitable for beginners.




Here's another plant that I have yet to identify. It looks like a type of Vallisneria but the leaves are unlike Vallisneria - they're harder. The leaves remind me of the non-aquatic "lalang" (wild grass). I found out from the forum that it's actually Cyperus Helferi that can be planted submerged or emersed. It is a native plant from Thailand. I believe I have seen it in the wild in Malaysia as well.




The root of Cyperus Helferi:




The leaves of Cyperus Helferi:

6 comments:

querked said...

Vallisneria... the pics looks like spring onions lah! But good work, we definately need a good guide to aquatic plants in malaysia, esp since most plants comes from tropical countries like ours! :P

Umbrella Rec said...

It's neither Vallisneria nor the aquatic onion plant (is that the right name?). It lacks of the "onion". It's confirmed to be Cyperus Helferi. I have transferred it to my 3 feet tank. I think it looks great. If it's not overcrowded with plants, I would love to add more of them into the tank :)

Chuckieee said...

If i didn't know better, i'd say its an onion :P

Umbrella Rec said...

Haha...onion! It will taste funny if you cook it :)

constance said...

no news about my fishes arr...cos they all died after we took off for march school holidays... maybe the fishes were too domestic and needed to be fed daily.. cos the ones left were the children of the original ones...

Umbrella Rec said...

Sorry to hear that. Any intention to set up the tank again? Knowing that you have all the equipments and the tank, it's a waste to let them catching the dust. I suggest you give it one more try. I can assist you. I will write an article specifically for you :)