Sunday, December 07, 2008

Trip To France and the Netherlands

Eiffel Tower in Paris:



Recently I was sent to Paris for training by my company. The trip was announced to me on the same day they booked the flight ticket. It was a surprised and very rush for me indeed as I was unprepared. Anyway, I hopped on the opportunity as Europe was my all time favourite continent and I had been looking forward to get out of Malaysia.

I had only 3 days for sight seeing in France - 1 day upon arrival and 2 days during weekend. In Paris, places visited were Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, Sacre-Coeur, Place de la Concorde, etc. We visited the world heritage, Le Mont St Mitchel, which was a few hours by train outside Paris as well.

The second weekend, my colleague and I took a train to the Netherlands for our personal vacation. In Netherlands, I managed to meet my old friend that I have known for 22 years in Eindhoven and we met for the second time. We also stopped by at Rotterdam which is a very friendly modern city on the way to Eindhoven. We spent most of the time in Amsterdam. Besides of the availability of soft drugs in all the coffee shops (please bear in mind that they are not Malaysian version of coffee shops that sell food and drinks), it's a wonderful city. Even the Red Light District is very safe, good transportation, friendly people and Dutch generally speaks better English than other Europeans. Personally, I love Netherlands better than France.

I told many of my friends that I would not return to Malaysia if I had a chance especially after reading the bad news about the landslide in Ulu Klang that was a repetition of Highland Tower incident in 1993. I am very ashamed of the Malaysian authorities and the government for causing the death of innocent people due to greed, ignorance, carelessness and failure to learn from previous mistakes. I am very sick of them!

A View from Red Light District:
Please take note that there is a photography restriction here but I guess it's ok if you aim the camera out of the Red Light District the way I did. I did it the second time - the first time was in 1996.



Voldenpark in Amsterdam:



Windmill in Rotterdam:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the pictures are really beautiful. thanks for sharing.. they would make beautiful frameworks for you home too!

i wish i get sent to Netherlands too...but i'm just a stay home mom now.. the only way is out of my own pocket...hehehe

Umbrella Rec said...

Maybe you can suggest a second honeymoon to your hubby. I suggest European countries like England, Scotland, France, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Luxembourg and Hungary.

Belgium is not in the list because I heard there's nothing much to see. Italy is not in the list because lousy security (snatch thefts). I heard security is equally bad for Spain. I am unfamiliar with Portugal and Eastern Europe.

Constance Chan said...

travelling will have to be out of our agenda, till we have a deeper pocket and when the kids are all grown up.

staying in sg is costly, with all that expenses, mortgages and kids' education.

used to buy those 4D and toto but gave it all up after a wake up call that all that money dump in for years would have been a nice nest egg.

i now cross my fingers for a long lost relative that suddenly appears and dumps filthy amount of money and property like in those story books...hehehe but don't burst my bubble yet.