Thursday, April 08, 2010

Conversion To Semi-NPT

I have finally re-setup the tank I wanted to convert into semi-NPT (natural planted tank). The main reason for the conversion is I am tired of purchasing the expensive Seachem root tab for this tank. I got rid of almost 80% of the existing plants. I have removed the bad condition Java Ferns but I leave the mini Java Ferns. Besides, Marsilea and Potamogeton gayi, I introduced Anubias Nana (maybe one of them is Anubias Petite) and Cryptocoryne Wendtii into the tank.

I have removed the female Krib and Ember tetras and placed them in another 2 separate tanks. I only leave the Black phantom tetras and the sole otto in the tank.

The following are the stuff utilised in the tank:

1. Soil: Clay loam (Price: RM5)

2. Sand: Holland Sand

3. Filter: Eheim 2213

4. Lighting: 55 Watt Dymax PL

5. Plants: Marsilea, Potamogeton gayi, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Anubias nana (maybe one of them is Anubias Petite) & mini Java fern

6. Fauna: Black phantom tetras & otto

7. CO2

8. 15 US Gallon (Standard 2 Feet) Tank

This is how the tank looks like originally:



This is how it looks like after the conversion. The water is clear since day 1:



This is the clay loam I use for this planted tank after failing to find top soil I purchased from the same nursery. I have decided to give clay loam a try as recommended by the salesperson. Purchased from Kelana Jaya's plants nursery:



I have added Holland sand at 4 corners of the tank to prevent double layer of sand and soil from being viewed. After that the top part of the soil is covered by Holland sand:



This is how the tank looks like on the 11th of April 2010 after adding water lettuce to shade the Anubias Nana and adding Rotala at the background:



7 comments:

HaNaMiChi said...

nice setup... i'm in the pr0cess t0 re-scape back my 2ft tank...

querked said...

Dude! where did u shop for the tanah pokok teratai?? Any address? :P Would probably go for 'em as my next tank project!! Lovely tank, btw!

Umbrella Rec said...

I bought the soil at a nursery in Kelana Jaya. The one which is near a Chinese coffee shop (not far from the old Giant)

querked said...

oh yeah, the shop that sells kois n other fishes too! How much per pack?

Umbrella Rec said...

It's RM5 per pack

Anonymous said...

where you get the sponge that cover your 2213 water inlet?

Umbrella Rec said...

Got it at 88 Pets Mart, SunwayMas