Saturday, July 19, 2008

"Kuih Kapek" of Good Old School Days


Back in the 70s, I remember before I started schooling, my dad sometimes brought back some "kuih kapek" (also known as Love Letter) from school. I don't mean the Chinese New Year type. The one I refer to is the big triangle one with a piece of newspaper hidden in the "kuih kapek". If you're lucky, you may find 10 cents wrapped in the tiny piece of newspaper. Nowadays, people may consider the newspaper as unhyginic but those days who cares!! My love for this "kuih kapek" continues from pre-school, primary school, secondary school, college and university days till now. The "kuih kapek" become rare since the late 80s. I guess it's almost extinct or already extinct today because I have never seen the big triangle "kuih kapek" for the last 10 years.

I miss those "kuih kapek" that taste like fortune cookies commonly used in Chinese restaurants in the U.S. I guess due to the taste similarity, I love the taste of fortune cookies too.

Recently my wife found the "kuih kapek" at pasar malam (night market). The shape is rectangle rather than triangle. The taste is not as good as it used to be but good enough to fill my urge. Meanwhile, my hunt for the large triangle "kuih kapek" continues....

2 comments:

Constance Chan said...

here in sg, it is still available selling in those large tins of biscuits that are usually sold by weight! but like you said, they aren't so nice. if not wrong these biscuits are actually made in Malaysia ones. I think most of these old fashioned biscuits are available in Malacca or townships that aren't that developed. Good luck with your search :P

Umbrella Rec said...

Thanks for the info. I hardly go to any smaller towns. So, looks like my chance of finding it is very slim :(